Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The morning kitchen

These mornings it’s still dark when I wake up. I slip into our bathroom to dress and brush my teeth before walking oh-so-stealthily by the kids’ rooms and then, as quickly and smoothly as possible, skittering down the stairs, though almost never without hitting a bunch of creaky squeaky spots. Creaky spots can’t be missed in an old house like ours—it’s full of them.

Once in the kitchen I turn on a couple small lamps, light some votives, start up the computer, and set a pot of water on to boil for my morning coffee. It’s quiet and chilly. I shiver.

This morning I had to run down cellar for a quart of frozen strawberries to put atop our baked oatmeal. As I crossed the deck on my return trip, I glanced in the kitchen windows and my breath caught. For what I saw through the fogged-up glass was my life as a memory, fuzzy and warm.

11 comments:

  1. I love this photo. Reminds me of the old Doris Day photos where she looks so ethereal. You don't notice the wrinkles or sagging jowls...just the fuzzy beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks warm and inviting. And just where is your cellar located?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy those moments before everyone is awake too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to see things from a different perspective.

    Farmgirl Cyn, yeah, that's what I need! Something to hold over my face to fuzz out the wrinkles and sagging jowls as I navigate the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love catching those glimpses, too. It makes you wish you lived there, doesn't it? Aren't we lucky we do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That was a really cool photo! Oh, and I love your description of the quiet before everything breaks loose. I keep thinking I need to wake up in time for that. But, somehow my kids always beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, our cellar is under our kitchen but we have to go out on the porch to get to the stairs. It's kind of a pain, I guess, but I don't even think about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get to my cellar by going outside too! I keep a pair of shoes by the back door for just this purpose.

    That is a beautiful photo. And I loooooove mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think i should wake up earlier

    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete